How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36125
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced .and I am disabled. I draw from my SSI each month.

Customer Question

I am divorced .and I am disabled. I draw from my SSI each month. I also receive alimony from my Ex-Huband. I am 61. I am thinking drawing from the EX-Huband's Social Security.I will turn 62 in June. If I do this will my Alimony stop and My SSI stop?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Your taking an ex-spouse benefit when you are eligible to at age 62 will not affect your entitlement to the alimony that you are receiving. However, depending on the amount of social security you receive, it is possible that your SSI will be decreased or possibly stop entirely. Because both your alimony and your ex-spouse social security benefit would be deemed income to you, there is a very real possibility that the income you will then receive will have an adverse effect on your ability to continue to receive SSI benefits. Basically, if the money that you receive from alimony and your ex-spouse social security benefit exceeds $750 per month, and you are single, you would lose eligibility for SSI. If this is the case, you might want to wait until you reach age 65 and become eligible for MediCare to take your ex-spouse social security benefit. That way you will get the additional income and you will not be deprived of medical care. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.I wish you and yours the best in 2015,Doug

Related Family Law Questions