LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Someone I am beginning a relationship with is in the process of separating from her husban

Customer Question

Someone I am beginning a relationship with is in the process of separating from her husband. she's asked for the legal separation. they supposedly filed or she had him served in may or june and i want to know if there's a way to check and see if/when that was filed
in california--los angeles county
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Yes, there is a way to check on court filings, as well as to get copies of everything in the file. If you are local to the court, you can go to the Clerk of the Court and they will assist you in getting a certified copy of the file, or any other court file document you might need.If you are not local, you can write to the Court Clerk's office in that county and ask them to pull the file and mail you a certified copy.This will take some back and forth because they won't know the cost to charge until they see the length of the document.Alternatively, you can contact a local private process server in the county, and they can go to the court, look up the file, and arrange to get copies to you in a matter of days---perhaps even to email them to you. Here is a link to process servers in the LA County area. Any of them have the ability to get the file as soon as tomorrow:http://www.serve-now.com/process-server/california/los-angeles You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.I wish you and yours the best in 2015,Doug