Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live' in CA. My ex husband is ordered to pay me alimony

Customer Question

I live' in CA. My ex husband is ordered to pay me alimony payments. In 2014 he only paid me $600 out of the whole year. He is ordered to pay $600. a month. Dose he owe me the money he didn't pay?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorneyPA replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you. If your ex-husband is required to make alimony payments pursuant to a Court Order or a Marriage Dissolution Agreement (Settlement Agreement), then absent certain circumstances, you are entitled to seek enforcement of the Order/Agreement and receive your money. If you are in a new relationship and co-habitating with your new partner, that may be grounds for your right to receive alimony to be terminated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe, Sorry its taken so long to reply. Yes my ex-husband is court ordered and it is also in our settlement agreement. I am not in a relationship at this time. I live with my mother and take care of her. Is there a statute of limitations on how long I have to seek enforcement? Also would it matter if I used a different attorney?
Thank You, Melissa