Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

The parents of my 2 grand son's are not married however they

Customer Question

The parents of my 2 grand son's are not married however they are still together. Her parents have temporary custody right now through child protective services. I was seeing the boys on a regular basis until the parents robbed our house and now they have told her parents not to allow me to see them. Do I have any way or any rights to see them?
Kim
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, Kim. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. The answer here is a bit unfavorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Generally speaking a guardian has the right to bar access and yes, deny others the ability to see the child. There are two ways to challenge this. First, you can file for guardianship yourself, and reference the thefts as a basis--you can argue that the other grandparents are 'unfit' and should not care for the children. The second option is filing for visitation by claiming that the children have a very strong and viable bond with you and that barring them access to you is not in their best interest. I would suspect that filing for your own guardianship would likely be almost as difficult as visitation so if you choose to file it would likely be better to seek guardianship outright. Sincerely, ***** *****