Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I have joint custody with my son and I still have to pay $600/month,

Customer Question

I have joint custody with my son and I still have to pay $600/month, is this right or am I just missing something?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Is there a large difference in your respective incomes?.Is the custody exactly equal?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing there is a difference in income and the custody is exactly one week on one week off
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then the two things that the court looks at when making a child support decision are the amount of custodial time, which isn't an issue here, and the parent's respective incomes. If one parent makes more than the other, they will be ordered to pay some amount of support, even if the custody is equal. The more the one parent makes, the more they will have to pay..There is a child support calculator here that you can plug your numbers into to give you an approximation of what it should be..http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/texas..thanksBarrister