Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in New Jersey, in April I was granted physical

Customer Question

I live in New Jersey, in April I was granted physical custody of my 3 nieces. Their father has since gone to court to move child support payments over to me for his daughters. Their mother on the other hand, receives SNAP benefits, for them buys a little food once a month and does nothing else for them financially. This arrangement was supposed to be short term, but it seems like its going to go on through the next school year. Does she have an obligation to pay child support as well?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Yes, the mother should be paying child support as well as the father based on the fact that you have been granted temporary custody of the children. You will have to petition the court for a support order though. I would note that if the mother is still getting SNAP benefits for the children when they are living with you, she is committing welfare fraud and you might consider reporting her for this crime. She absolutely is not entitled to claim SNAP benefits for the children when they are not a part of her household. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.I wish you and yours the best in 2015,Doug