originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

I only learned of my son's birth years after his birth. He

Customer Question

I only learned of my son's birth years after his birth. He shares her family's last name. The mother brought him up on his own without asking or needing my help. Now that he's become a doctor and is 28 , she NOW wants me to sign a form to place me on the birth certificate in retro.
Are there any legal ramifications such as child support if i consent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.
It's unlikely that a Judge would order back support now that the child in question is an adult, 28, and you are not currently on the birth certificate and were never adjudicated to be the legal father. Child support is for raising a minor and a Judge is going to want to know why she would just now be coming after you.She may be trying to secure his inheritance rights through you. If you aren't his legal father, then he doesn't technically inherit from you when you pass. The question here is does your son want this? It's not her decision at this point, it's between you and him. She can't force you or him to do this. Also, before you sign anything, you should ask for a DNA test just to be sure.