FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

When I got divorced the judge stated that he will leave my

Customer Question

When I got divorced the judge stated that he will leave my case open and if I decide to go back and claim alimony I would be able to do so. That was more than 10 years ago. This man died and left some assets that no one can claim because he did not have a will. We were married for 26 years with 6 children. Is there a way to claim these assets?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. What exactly is it that you would like to claim?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alimony, two of my children were under 18 when we got divorced and he left some properties and some money
Thank you for the additional information. At this point, the chance to claim alimony would have passed. If you never exercised your right to have it ordered, it would not likely be possible at this time, now that he has passed. If you wanted to, you could have done so once he was living but his passing would not likely allow it, now. Moreover, without a will leaving you any of his assets and the fact that you have been divorced, would not place you in a position to receive anything from him. The assets would pass to his heirs, which would be the 6 children. I know this is not what you were hoping to hear but the divorce and his pass is essentially cutting you off at this time from now seeking alimony or making a claim to his estate. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.