Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was just served custody papers and it says I have 30 days

Customer Question

Hi I was just served custody papers and it says I have 30 days to respond . He wants joint but is very young minded and inexperienced as far as parenting . He wasn't involved while I was pregnant . But now that my daughter is 9 months hes trying to get his rights . I was already letting him see her since May . In the past .... He's laid his hands on me due to being intoxicated. Had to do a.a classes while he was in the military , and now that he's back he just smokes marijuana all the time and I don't want my daughter around it . She was born a preemie and has been hospitalized 3 times since she was born . My question is ...
Is there really a difference in getting physical sole custody and joint legal vs joint physical and legal?
What are my best options?
I don't mind letting him be involved but I rather him have supervised visits until she's older and gets more comfortable with him , also once I know for sure he wont have marijuana around this is for her health and her best interest.
I basically want her with me most the time but I dont mind his visits .
What kind of custody should I go for and how .
Is it easier to represent myself if I don't have the money to afford a lawyer?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Please be aware that I cannot tell you what the best option is, as that is ultimately your choice, but I can explain the difference between legal and physical custody which I suspect will help it easier to see your next steps. Would that help?