Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I purchased a home before I was married, or even engaged for

Customer Question

I purchased a home before I was married, or even engaged for that matter, and my girlfriend at the time paid for closing and later we were married. She is asking for that closing money back. Is she entitled to that, and if so, wouldn't that be a civil matter and not a divorce matter?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If she paid for the closing costs without any type of agreement regarding repayment, then this would be considered to be a gift on her part and you would have no legal obligation to repay her.
.
If there was an agreement for you to pay her back, then since you weren't married at the time, yes, this would be a civil matter for breach of contract that may or may not be enforceable now depending on how long it had been since the promise to repay was made.
.
If it has been over 4 years, then in GA if this was an oral agreement, it would be unenforceable as beyond the statute of limitations.
.
.
thanks