Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

I am currently changing insurances family to include

Customer Question

I am currently changing insurances for my family to include my daughter that lives with her mother. This change of insurance will cause a few of her providers to change to include her ABA therapy because they are not preferred providers. This new insurance will cover all her medical needs at 100% as long as they are in-network providers.
Per our court order, I am required to pay 80% of all out-of-pocket medical expenses. Does this apply if my ex chooses to use an out-of-network provider instead of an in-network provider? She is upset with the insurance change and states she will not change any providers and has told me I will have to pay for it. Seems strange as she is electing to use the more expensive options instead of the covered providers.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If the custody/support order does not specify otherwise, the custodial parent may select the medical providers without regard to the network and based only upon what is best for the child. However, if you believe she is not selecting medical care based upon that standard, you can petition the court to modify the order.