Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I asked a question, few days back about my son.He is

Customer Question

Hello I asked a question, few days back about my son.He is 19 yrs old, lives with me.He is very scared of his father and does not want to tell him...so goes.However with time his mental health is compromised significantly.Now he wants to take him to Detroit.Last
time suggession was that if he is afraid to say "no".thats his discretion... IMPORTANT- I consulted my family lawyer.She said even if he is 19yrs but not able to say "NO".HE lives with me.Iam responsible to PROTECT him(knowingly,push him out of the door? If
he has told me "I dont want to go to detroit........I have the right to protect him!!!.TELL his father,what I know "I cannot let him go.....or let him drag him.This is cruelty.19 does not mean he his now "Parentless"
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information at this regard.At age 19, your son is not mandated under any court or law to participate in visits with his Father. I understand your son does not want to go. And at age 19, he can make that decision. The Father cannot force him to go. And so I am not sure what information you are seeking at this time, in the regard. Can you be more specific, please?Thank yu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, sure.The issue is he is very scared of his father and has "fear"....cannot say no".under these circumstances, leave him unprotected??.Do I have any right as helives with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean I should jeoperdize his mental health(several issues) but cannot say "no " to father
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can the father do?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf your son does not want to go he does not have to go. And if you want to step in and tell his Father that he does not want to go, then you have a right to do that for your son. He is 19 and an adult. I am sorry that he does not want to tell his Father he does not want to go and wants to leave it up to you. Of course, if you tell the Father he does not want to go, then the Father will probably ask him about it.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Your son is 19 years old and an Adult. The Father has no way to force him to go with him.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.