FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My son has lived with his partner years they have a

Customer Question

My son has lived with his partner for 13 years they have a 13-year-old son she now wants out of the relationship he is OK with this. He bought a house three years ago in his name only she now wants $15,000 or she's threatening to sue for her contribution to the household since The purchase of the house . Does she have a case
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Do you know what contributions she is claiming to have made?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She pays half the mortgage payment she paid for half of a water heater half of the washer and dryer which she is taking the television which she is taking the bedroom set which she is taking and normal expenses utilities etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A couple of months ago when he got his tax refund which was directly deposited into their checking account she said well I guess this is mine and she took it $2800.
Thank you for the additional information. If they were never married and he is solely on title, then she would have no claim to the actual home. Even though she has made payments toward the mortgage, it would not give her an ownership interest in the home. Things which she solely purchased and were not gifts, she would have a right to BUT things they shared the cost of, would need to be shared/divided, if possible. In this case, if they shared the cost of a water heater, washer and dryer, he would likely need to buy her out or vise versa and she could take those items with her. If they can not agree, then she would have to sue him.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!