Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

My girlfried is prgnant. She is aking me to pay

Customer Question

My girlfried is prgnant. She is aking me to pay for prenatal cost but then is telling me she may get an abortion. I would like to know what my financial responsibilities are if she choosed to get an abortion and what they are if she decides to have the baby.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there --There is nothing in the law that requires you to pay for an abortion and the only way she could force you to do so is if she takes the matter into small claims court -- and that would hinge upon whether or not she could prove to the court that you are the father. Regarding pre natal support -- again, there is nothing in the law that requires you to pay for anything unless she wants to take the matter to family court and sue for support for the child when it was born and again this is based upon if you claim the child is yours or there is a paternity test proving it is your child. The law does not require you to give her any money prior to the birth of the child but you will be on the hook for child support from the time the child is born if you are the father and claim that the child is yours from day one. Other than that, it is completely up to you whether or not you want to assist her through the pregnancy or not or to pay for an abortion or not and the law simply does not require that you do so at this point. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating below so I will be credited with helping you today. I receive no credit unless you press a positive rating below. THANK YOU MARY