Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I filed and my husband is in Mexico he was deported

Customer Question

I filed for divorce and my husband is in Mexico he was deported 2 1/2 years ago.I filed received my papers and he did his but the courts never got documentation he did so court can't proceed til they do.so I'm stuck what can I do.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Your recourse here if husband didn't respond and you can't locate him would be to file a motion with the court for "service by publication". This would allow you to place an ad in a local paper, usually once a week for 3-4 weeks, and then he would be legally considered to have been served and the divorce petition could proceed and you would receive a default judgment for divorce.
.
.
thanks