Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I live in California. I've been married 20 years. last

Customer Question

I live in California. I've been married 20 years. For the last 13 years we've been living absolutely free in my mother in laws house. That house has always been intended for us and is willed to my husband but as of now it's still in my mother in laws name. The house is payed off. We're getting divorced. I want to sell the house and split the proceeds 50/50. Do I have a claim??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
""I want to sell the house and split the proceeds 50/50. Do I have a claim??""
.
.
Unfortunately no, if the house is in mother in law's name, it is her property and neither you nor husband has any legal right to sell it in any divorce process.
.
If she had deeded it over to both of you so it was in your names, it would be different.
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
thanks