LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

We have guardianship of our granddaughter. My daughter has

Customer Question

We have guardianship of our granddaughter. My daughter has already signed the adoption paper. This was done about 4 years ago. The dad wasn't nothing to do with her. Refuses to pay child support and will not see her. We live in Missouri. Have no idea where the father is. Can we adopt her without having to get his permission?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Susan,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, it is possible to complete the adoption without the approval of the father, however, you will have to in conjunction with the adoption proceeding sue the father for a termination of his parental rights based on abandonment.

Your attorney will do the due diligence to try and locate the father so as to serve him and if he cannot be located then service may be accomplished by publication in a local newspaper. Once the court terminates his parental rights, the adoption will then be granted.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug