Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My wife and I were married in March (my second marriage, her

Customer Question

My wife and I were married in March (my second marriage, her third) and she wants to change her last name to mine. She just completed a Medicare app.process and has her Medicare Part A & B card. She's updated her med insurance to a MediCare plan. She has
property in a living trust in a "blended" last name consisting of her maiden name + first married name, Logan-Hunter. All of her records are in that name since 1968. She has several lots in Missouri in the latter name. She's considering changing her name to
a three name last-name consisting of her "blended" last name and my last name. Do you think that is necessary? What would you recommend to make the name-change, avoid confusion, but protect her rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon:I will try to answer your question.Q:My wife and I were married in March (my second marriage, her third) and she wants to change her last name to mine. She just completed a Medicare app.process and has her Medicare Part A & B card. She's updated her med insurance to a MediCare plan. She has property in a living trust in a "blended" last name consisting of her maiden name + first married name, Logan-Hunter. All of her records are in that name since 1968. She has several lots in Missouri in the latter name. She's considering changing her name to a three name last-name consisting of her "blended" last name and my last name. Do you think that is necessary? What would you recommend to make the name-change, avoid confusion, but protect her rights?A: If your wife legal changes her name her rights will be protected regardless of the name selected. What my concern would be is that if she opts to have three last names it may become confusing for people to follow as it is outside of societal norms. If she changes her name based upon your marriage she should change her name on all official documents, with social security, driver's license, voting id, passport, and IRS. I do not believe it will be necessary to change the Trust or Deeds if she follows the other steps.I hope this is helpful. Best of luck.