Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I JUST GOT MARRIED TO MY PARTNER ON 7-4-15 AND WE WANT TO

Customer Question

I JUST GOT MARRIED TO MY PARTNER ON 7-4-15 AND WE WANT TO CHANGE OUR NAMES TO A DIFFERENT NEW LAST NAME COMBINING our two maiden names. how do we proceed? do we need to go to court or are there forms that can be filled out and a fee to the court?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Congratulations! I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
When you don't put a new last name on the marriage certificate, then it's necessary to get a court order for a name change. The process is fairly straightforward, though.
You'll each file a Petition explaining the reason for the name change and certifying that you're not doing it for an improper purpose (like to avoid creditors or distance yourself from a criminal record). Name changes due to marriage should get rubber stamped by the judge.
You are required to post notice of the name change in the local paper to give interested parties the ability to object. If you're over the age of 21, you'll also have to get fingerprinted and do a criminal background check, and there's an additional fee for that.
Here are full instructions, along with all the forms:
http://courts.mi.gov/self-help/center/casetype/pages/namechangesh.aspx
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.