LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

Boyfriend and I have lived together 20 years. Both

Customer Question

Boyfriend and I have lived together for over 20 years. Both of us wish for the other to inherit each others assets after death and or be quardian to each other if a medical case arises. Can we file a joint living will?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is no restriction that the parties be married to form a joint will (or a joint trust for that matter).
The main problem is that once the first party dies, that can tie the property up for years, until the second party passes; and that can be a problem, whether married or not (for example, if there are other third parties that the couple would like to leave their property to). Also, the joint will specifies who the property will be left to when both pass, and that can create a problem if one outlives the other for a lengthy period of time (for example, if the joint will leaves the property to a third party because of their financial need, and then years later that person no longer has that need; the surviving partner cannot, without great difficulty and expense involving court, change the terms of the will, because it becomes a binding contract once the first partner dies).
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney: www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here. If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer. Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!