Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Mother of Daughter (incarcerated until Oct) has a 2 yr old

Customer Question

Mother of Daughter (incarcerated until Oct) has a 2 yr old daughter. Father of child has been in and out of jail and has been released. The child has been born and raised with the maternal grandparents. The mother of the child requested that I (grandmother) obtain guardianship of the child until her release. Mother and child have been legally residing with grandparents since pregnancy. The father is an undocumented immigrant and mother is concerned that he will take the child and disappear. Can we obtain guardianship for this two year old and protect her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am sorry for this dilemma...can you tell me, who has physical custody now? Does dad? Or the maternal grandparents?
And is dad's location known?