Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a friend who is retiring from the military service

Customer Question

I have a friend who is retiring from the military service and is in the process of getting a divorce. He has been married for over 10 years; he got married in North Charleston SC, while being stationed in Beaufort SC. His soon to be ex was also active
duty military at the time of their marriage. They both were residents of South Carolina for a period of 4 years, and they are currently residing in California in different residences. They have been separated for 6 months as of this date. The two in question
went to the JAG(Judge Advocate General) office or base legal as it is commonly called to do a dissolution of marriage document where both parties agreed to their portion of who would have what etc.. At this point, my friend states that the divorce will be
uncontested; however, his wife is prolonging the process and has delayed progress on getting the divorce. He wants to know if he files or petitions for a divorce where he got married in North Charleston SC, how long of a process will it take to get the divorce
proceedings to resume when the other party is prolonging the action? He considers the divorce to be uncontested when he files if at all possible, please advise, what are his options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Is your friend still active duty military?
2. Will his wife consent to a divorce in SC?
This seems like a very important matter for your friend, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Doug