Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

Child Support Question: A friend had pregnant by a man that

Customer Question

Child Support Question: A friend had pregnant by a man that works under the table as a painter. The state cannot find him. His mother knows where he is. Can the father's mother be forced to help the state locate her son/father of child to have him pay child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
To answer your question directly, yes, she can be forced to answer questions regarding his location, but it is very unlikely that a judge will do so. If a person refuses to answer a question under oath (like in a deposition), the judge MAY hold the person in contempt. If the contiune to refuse, the judge can impose sanctions, which can include jail time, until the comply. So, if she refuses to asnwer the questions, the judge can throw her in jail for contempt until she does. That said, it would be a very rare circumstance where a judge would do something like that.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.