originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

Would it be a good time to tell my wife that I will only sign

Customer Question

would it be a good time to tell my wife that I will only sign the acknowledgement if she has her attorney remove some items that there is no way I will ever agree with. Like me paying for her attorney fees even though she makes more than me and also her requesting alimony.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.
You should definitely voice your disagreement before anything is signed by a Judge.
Without knowing your situation, I'd say that in court, you could be ordered to pay her attorney fees and alimony, but there's no reason to agree to it voluntarily if you don't want to do those things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so even though she makes more money than me, I would have to pay alimony in addition to her attorney fees? what is the reasoning behind that. I thought its whoever makes more, must pay the other.

and this paperwork is the acknowledgement of receipt of the initial paperwork. so we are in just the beginning. My question is if before I sign the acknowledgement, should I try to get her to change things on the initial paperwork

I see what you are asking now:
You are correct, generally, the party who makes more pays for fees/alimony, although that's not always guaranteed.
Now, what you're talking about, if I understand, is if you should acknowledge the papers you've received and if signing that you've received those papers means that you agree to pay alimony and attorney fees.
If you sign to acknowledge the paperwork, you are not agreeing to anything, other than that you've received notice of the suit.
Asking for spousal support and legal fees in an initial pleading is common, because if you don't ask for it up front, then the Judge can never grant it. However, asking for it doesn't mean you get it, so even though she's pled for it in her paperwork, that's no guarantee that she'll get it.
You can file a countersuit and ask for fees and alimony if you want