Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What is the difference between elder and family law.

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
FAMILY LAW focuses on things like divorce, custody, visitation child support, and paternity.
ELDER LAW focuses on things like abuse/neglect of elders (civil aspects of it), adult guardianship, issues of mental capacity, and so on.
What someone in your situation wants to do, likely, is to get an ADULT GUARDIANSHIP order for Tony. See here. This would be more within the ELDER LAW aspect. A guardianship order overrides any POA, generally speaking.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.