Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

There was a disagreement between my son and his wife which

Customer Question

There was a disagreement between my son and his wife which resulted in my husband and myself moving out of my sons home. They are now not allowing us to see or have any contact with our grandsons. They reside in Georgia and we are now residing in Florida. What are my rights, as a grandparent, to gain visitation rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If the children are in Georgia, then Georgia law gives grandparents the right to as a court for visitation under certain conditions.
.
One of these conditions is that the parents must have separated as grandparents can't seek visitation with a grandchild who lives with both parents as the presumption is that the intact parental unit has the right to determine any type of interaction with other family members.
.
So if the father and mother are still together, then unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to get a judge in GA to allow visitation if the parents objected.
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
thanks