Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Please explain the financial arrangements . I am in

Customer Question

Please explain the financial arrangements for divorce. I am in agreement with dividing houses/cars/possessions equally, but don't really know what to expect. My wife and I have been making exactly the same salary for a few years but I just took a job in
which I will make more than her. We have been living apart for five years (and still will be) but only for job reasons to this point. However, we are now considering going our separate ways. I have trouble finding work due to my experience; she is versatile
on the other hand and can have her pick of jobs--what will the court ask of me or her financially in respect to the other one.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
In a situation where the spouses earned about the same amount during the marriage and lived apart, alimony is unlikely. Alimony is need-based, and if your spouse was able to support herself living apart from you for the past 5 years, there's no reason for the judge to think that shouldn't continue.
Also note that if you haven't been married at least 10 years, Texas law prohibits her from getting alimony.
All assets acquired during the marriage will be split equally between the two of you by the judge. Equally doesn't necessarily mean the two of you split everything in half. If her car is worth more than yours, she'd have to pay you half the difference in equity. The same is true with the houses. The judge can use one asset to offset another. So, for example, if your house is worth $20,000 more than hers, the judge could give her an extra $10,000 from a bank account. If the two of you can reach an agreement, the judge will usually accept it.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.