originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

I have joint legal and joint physical custody of my child.

Customer Question

I have joint legal and joint physical custody of my child. My custody order says that the parents must communicate on certain topics concerning the child. The other parent has harassed me since the order was entered. I recently obtained a restraining order against the other parent. Even though I explained the situation when asking for the restraining order, the order says NO contact whatsoever, not even through third parties.
How do I reestablish communication without violating the restraining order. I feel as though I may be violating the custody order by not communication the required things to the other parent.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.
This is tricky, because technically, you're right. You can't communicate with the other parent without violating the order. I know that many courts order the use of Our Family Wizard, which allows the parents to communicate only about issues relating to the child, and has the added benefit of allowing a Judge to review communication in OFW if harassment is occurring.
https://www.ourfamilywizard.com/. This can help limit the harassment because all communication should go through the website, not directly to the parties.
Violating the restraining order would have more immediate consequences than violating the court order. And having a restraining order would be a defense to violating the court order. Plus, the other parent would actually have to take you back to court for violating the order, which then puts them at risk of being exposed for their harassing behavior. Whether or not they'd think that through, only you would know.