Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Just trying to see what options I have concerning where my son wants t

Customer Question

Just trying to see what options I have concerning where my son wants to live.my son is 12 and states he wants to live with me. we have a nice home in a good neighborhood with good schools. his mom lives in a very run down house, and its not clean at all. my son also states she is verbally abusive
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. Most courts will give favorable consideration to a child's wishes as to where they want to live starting at age 12 to 13. Usually the judge will have a private one on one with the child to make sure as to the childs wishes and that the reasons are not frivilous. This one on one is called an "in camera" hearing. Neither the parties nor the attorneys are present. In order to accomplish this you must file a motion with the court to amend your custody order, or file for custody if there is no order. Normally you would need an attorney for this, although some states do have self help forms and directions. You do not indicate what state you reside in, so I can not check to see if your state offers such self help. You can look for yourself by Google searching the name of your state and Self Help Family Law Guides. This site has resources that may be helpful to you:http://www.nolo.com/products/nolos-essential-guide-to-child-custody-and-support-nocs.html I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.