Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

The judge entered the divorcee decree husband and

Customer Question

The judge entered the divorcee decree for my husband and myself yesterday afternoon; even though, my attorney filed objections to entering the judgment. These objections relate to my ex-spouse transferring approximately $375,000 of my interest in his 401k
stocks to a stable value investment within his 401k without notice or consent. I became suspicious when my ex-spouse subtly mentioned he moved my interest of his 401k to a separate account. My attorney subpoenaed the statements from his 401k and discovered
he transferred my interest from stocks to a stable value investment within the 401k. Not only did my former husband cost me approximately $110,000 in gains over 20 months but he also kept approximately $15,000 of my gains at the time of the transfer. The transcript
from the settlement agreement is silent on who receives gains and losses from the 401k. Additionally, my ex-spouse and I agreed in the settlement agreement read into the Court record that I would receive a shared-interest approach for 50% of 36 years of marriage
as well as pre-survivor and post-survivor benefits; however, I had no idea I had another option other than a shared-interest approach, such as a separate-interest approach because my attorney during negotiations did not advise me on a separate-interest pension,
so I had no idea it existed. My new attorney will file a Motion for a Evidenciary Hearing the week after next when he returns from vacation to address the unconscionable settlement agreement where I received approximately $500,000 worth of assets but lost
approximately $400,000 worth of assets that should be rightfully mine. My question for you is: How do I protect my interest in my former spouse's 401k and defined pension plan while litigation continues on these outstanding issues with the 401k and defined
pension plan?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Have you already asked your attorney to impose a temporary restraining order on finances, which prohibit dissipating, selling, transferring, encumbering, or wasting of those assets during the pendency of those outstanding issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not imposed a temporary restraining order on these assets. Should my attorney impose a temporary restraining order on these assets or can I pro per while he is on vacation?
Should my attorney and I submit a court-approved order for a QDRO even if these assets are still outstanding issues and they apply to the QDRO?