Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am a 56 year-old African American male. I do not have a birth

Customer Question

I am a 56 year-old African American male. I do not have a birth certificate I have documentation from Lansing MI stating that there is no record of my birth on file. I am the fourth of nine children and they all have birth certificated. My father is deceased and my mother is of little help, either she can't remember or is simply refusing too. And I am at a lost as to what to do to correct this. I have a high school transcript and it only has my fathers name on it. My parents were never married. I have tried to get other documentation such as medical and shot records, but because I have no legal documentation to prove who I am I am not able to access those records. My mother at times used my father's last name but now she is unable to access those records because she can no longer use his name, because she has no identification which allows her to do so. Is there anything I can do? Please respond at***@******.***. I would really appreciate any help I receive. Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
What do you need the birth certificate for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Employment and to get a state identification.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I figured that might be the case. I will have to opt out and see if another expert can assist you as I am not knowledgeable on this one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay,
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you cannot find documentation sufficient to prove your birth records, then your only remaining recourse is filing a petition in the court to establish record of birth and issue a birth certificate. In court, you will need to call your mother to court as well as some of your siblings to testify and confirm your birth to your mother. You would start with notarized affidavits from your mother and some or all of your siblings regarding your birth to attach to the suit. The court, upon hearing the evidence the court can issue an order to vital records to issue a birth certificate in your name listing your mother as biological parent.
Unfortunately though, the only way to resolve your issue is through the court order. So, if you cannot get legal aid to assist you in going to court to file the petition, then you would need to call the state bar and ask for the pro bono attorneys in the area who can file the petition in court for you to get the court order.