LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

If my daughters dad and i have shared legal custody with visitations and there was an accu

Customer Question

if my daughters dad and i have shared legal custody with visitations and there was an accusation from my child made to her therapist and children and youth services were contacted, can I go back to the judge to get the order modified?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted. A few minutes please as I look into this for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
OK; thanks for your patience.
So a parent can bring a request for modification whenever there is a change of circumstances; a change of circumstances can be age alone (as a child's needs changes based on age), a change in a parent's home/lifestyle, the child's attitude towards a parent, the introduction of a third party to the family, etc.
If there are allegations of abuse/neglect, the court can take those into consideration in order to modify custody. The idea is to take into account the child's best interests, which gives the judge great discretion, but the judge will consider several factors.
Some therapists will make a therapist's recommendation to the court, advising the court as to their professional opinion as to what custody arrangement is in the child's best interest (it depends on the therapist's willingness to do this).
But ultimately the judge will want to ensure that the child is in a safe and nurturing environment, with ongoing and continuous relations with both parents (when this is safe for the child).
forms can be located here for modification requests: http://www.palawhelp.org/issues/children-and-families/self-help-pro-se-forms-and-information
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/231/chapter1915/s1915.15.html - additional forms here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!