LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I have been ordered, by N.C. court, to pay % of children's

Customer Question

I have been ordered, by N.C. court, to pay for 65% of children's out of pocket medical expenses. My wife took both children to dentist office today, and incurred $275 of "Out of Pocket" DENTAL costs. Do I owe 65% of this bill? I consider dental SEPARATE from Medical expenses and just need clarification.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Under NC law, when a court order is in place for payment of medical expenses by one or both parents, medical care refers not only to care by a licensed physician, but also dental car, vision care and psychological care which is deemed medically reasonable.
Unfortunately, the present court order will obligate you to pay 65% of the out of pocket dental bill.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.
Thank you,
Doug