Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

In S.C. , the property you owned before marriage considered

Customer Question

In S.C. , the property you owned before marriage considered part of both parties at divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Property acquired by a spouse before the marriage is specifically defined as non-marital property by S.C. Code of Laws, Section 20-3-630. Non-marital property is not subject to equitable distribution during divorce.
The only exception is if the other spouse's name was added to the property or the property was otherwise commingled with marital assets. Also note that if mortgage payments were made during the marriage, the non-owner spouse may be entitled to reimbursement for half of those payments (but does not have an ownership interest in the house without a written agreement saying so).
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.