Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My ex is filing bankruptcy and requesting a modification

Customer Question

Hi, my ex is filing bankruptcy and requesting a modification in child support.Historically, I was a stay at home parent. I do work but do not have the earing potential he does. Will I have to pay him? How will all this work out?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.
Good evening:
Is he also requesting a change in child custody? Why are you concerned that you would have to pay him? This additional info will help me better answer your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because he is filing to reduce to 0 since he doesn't have a job. ( also threatening to sue me for supposed since I do have one )
What is the current division of parenting time? Is he asking you for spousal support or alimony? He cannot get retroactive alimony. That would have been something he would have needed to ask for at the time of divorce. Now that the marriage is over, he cannot get spousal support. He might be able to have his support reduced, but it is highly unlikely that it would be completely zeroed out.