Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been divorced years. In my divorce settlement

Customer Question

I have been divorced for six years. In my divorce settlement I was awarded any property I owned, personal clothing and effects, all household furniture and fixtures, etc. The first two years of my divorce, my Mom was very ill and I was dealing with issues with my sisters related to my Mom with my sisters. Then my X husband gave me only 30 days to remove my things from the marital house. I have a bad back and I took as much as I could that my apartment would hold. My name was supposed to be taken off of the house deed but never was and the house has gone into bankruptcy. My X changed the locks to the house four years ago but gave me a key to the house as he was trying to get back together with me. I realized that my name is ***** ***** the house deed and in the divorce decree that I was awarded the furniture that belonged to me that I was not able to get because of the 30 day limit that I had. My X got married last week and I went into the house and took what I had bought and I left him a note telling him that I was still on the deed of the house and just wanted my things and furniture that I bought. He came home after being on his honeymoon and now will not let me in the house to get my furniture. I would have pursued this early when we were divorced but I didn't think I could get my furniture because he had only given me 30 days to do so. He was awarded the house in the divorce but not my personal belongings or furniture. Can I get my furniture that is mine?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues, along with the fact that you have raised multiple legal issues, suggests that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
If you are not interested just let me know and I will be happy to opt out and allow someone else the opportunity to assist you.
Thanks in advance,
Doug