Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

How do you get a paternity test done?

Customer Question

How do you get a paternity test done?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Could you explain a little more?
Is this case later going to Court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I know of. The dad is currently out of state but will be moving back the end of August. He told the mom he wants to be added to the birth certificate September 3rd. He did a home paternity test right after her birth and there is no doubt she's his. She looks exactly like our side of the family as well. Hopefully court won't be necessary but if she doesn't cooperate, he is more than prepared to go to court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mom has been asking him to get on the birth certificate for years but he wasn't prepared emotionally until now. The mom talks a big talk about being a fantastic mom but she keeps getting evicted from apartments and the rare times she does have her daughter she tells her to "shut the F--- Up" and asks if it's time to go to her grandma's house. The mom's family has drug abuse background and she was recently beat up and choked by a guy she was dating that's a heroin addict. This is not the kind of living situation that my son wants to see his daughter a part of. My granddaughter has been living with me more on than off and for the last year at least, she has been living with me 4 days a week....from Saturday morning until Wednesday morning.
Thank you for the information.
If there is no question about paternity, there would not be any need for the Court to order DNA testing. Your son would just complete forms to voluntarily acknowledge paternity and to be added to the Birth Certificate. Click on the link below to see the forms:
https://www.maricopa.gov/publichealth/programs/vitals/pdf/forms/ackofpat.pdf