Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Live in Florida and have filed my wife has responded.

Customer Question

Live in Florida and have filed for divorce my wife has responded. Wanting house (me to pay for), car (me to pay for), health insurance, 401K, woodmen ins. which was an inheritence) and $2000. in alimony. I only bring home $2600.00 monthly is this possible
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.Of course, this is possible, but it is not likely. When determining how to split property, the judge looks at what both parties make and who can afford to pay what.....and also who is going to keep the property. So, if she wants to keep the house and the car, and you're agreeable to that, the judge would likely also require her to take/assume the payments on both (unless it is a situation where only one party works and the other spouse is the sole breadwinner AND can afford it.The judge may require you to pay spousal support to help cover these costs, but it is not likely that you'd have to pay all of these things AND spousal support as that would cost more than you are bringing in....and leaving nothing for yourself.Instead, the judge would likely determine the monthly payments for the house and car, then the judge would look at what she makes a month to determine the shortage between the two...and you'd likely/possibly have to make up that difference.