Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My wife has developed drinking problem, and I may choose to

Customer Question

My wife has developed drinking problem, and I may choose to go our separate ways rather than to have to deal with it along with some other issues between us. I have some financial concerns should it come down to starting divorce proceedings. First of all,
I would want to confirm that my inheritance is separate property, and that she could not get any part of it. Next, I just took a job in which I will be able to save fairly well. How should I protect that savings? Where should I put it besides a savings account
where it will be more easily divided between me and my wife (and her lawyer?) I have no problem with dividing our possessions/cars/house equally amongst each other. State of Texas. No kids. She is 47 and in retail management, I am a 52 teacher of 27 years.
We had been making exactly the same salaries until, as I said, I accepted another job starting in August. We have been living 6 hours apart for five years for job reasons only. I have been going her a few hundred a month even when we made the same because
her rent was much higher than mine. please advise about items above.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. First, your inheritance is separate property (not marital) and is not divisible in divorce proceedings UNLESS you have received inheritance and added your spouse's name to the inherited property. As for the savings account, if the money has been acquired during the marriage, it is going to be divisible between you and your wife as part of the divorce, so it really doesn't matter where you put it or how you save it....the money will have to be disclosed and it will have to be divided.