Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

My son-in-law screamed, threatened and intimidated me (a senior citizen) in New York on S

Customer Question

my son-in-law screamed, threatened and intimidated me (a senior citizen) in New York on Saturday, June 27. All this because he was told "no", that my 10 year old grandson would not be staying at his house for 2 more weeks. He was livid and came after me into another room to verbally abuse me. I live in Illinois, but visiting daughter's family. Once told he would not be receiving some furniture and misc. items worth over $10,000.00, he followed me everywhere I went in the house while I was trying to pack. He was in my face until I left and livid when I talked to his 18 year old daughter (my grand daughter) without his permission. He told my other 18 year old grand daughter to ignore me when I tried to talk to her. I could not get us (husband and I) out of his house fast enough, I feared he would physically attack me. We left many things behind? My daughter tried to stop him, but he pushed her aside like a toy. Can I have him arrested for elder abuse?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Did he make any physical threats or put his hands on you?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No physical threats, he did not put his hands on me. He did take luggage and our belongings without permission. He took stuff that wasn't ours and put it in our van.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Unfortunately, without any physical threats or injuries it is not likely to get an elder abuse complaint off the ground.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?