Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My ex-husband and I were divorced in 2004 but got back together

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I were divorced in 2004 but got back together in the same year. In 2010 we had a son together and we would like to have joint custody but a lawyer here in Ohio said we couldn't because we live together. Could there actually be any truth to that? We both just want equal rights. Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Could you explain a little more?
Did you remarry? or are you still divorced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are still divorced.
Thank you for the information.
Your initial post:
Response: If you are still divorced, it would be prudent for you to go to Court and formally apply for joint custody. Otherwise, you as the mother have all rights and the father has none since you were not married when the child was born. So, the father is the person being disadvantaged without a formal custody Order.