Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I recieved a filed petition filed on behalf of el dorado county

Customer Question

I recieved a filed petition filed on behalf of el dorado county health and human services on my minor daughter who lives with her mother. A jurisdiction hearing will be held 7/10/2015. What is this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: Allegations are being made against the mother and as the other parent, you are being given a chance to appear at a hearing to determine whether the Court would accept the allegations as true and allow the proceedings against the mother.
"At the Jurisdictional Hearing the Court decides if what the petition says is true. The Court has three ways to do this:
The parents or guardians admit the petition is true.
The parents or guardians don’t disagree with the petition (called “submission”).
The parents or guardians dispute, or contest the petition. Both sides give the Court evidence at a hearing. Then, the court finds the petition to be true or not.
Before the judge accepts an admission or submission, the Court has to be sure the parents want to give up (waive) their right to a trial. This means they give up the right to: ***** ***** and question witnesses, bring their own witnesses, testify or stay silent. "

For more information, click on the link below:
http://www.scscourt.org/self_help/juvenile/jdependency/hearings.shtml#jurisdiction