Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in Washington State. I have been taking care of my 13

Customer Question

I live in Washington State. I have been taking care of my 13 yr old niece for the last year. He mother lives in Texas. What would we have to do in order to get custody of her?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would we have to go to Texas to fight is, or could we do it here in Washington?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. In order to take legal custody of the child, you would have to file a petition for legal guardianship in the county and state of the residence of the child.....so if the child has lived with you in WA for the past year, the state of her residence should be WA (6 months is generally the time to establish residence). You would have to serve the parents in order to get this done, but you should be able to accomplish it in WA.....Of course, if the mother were to agree to the guardianship, it would be a much simple process.