ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I live in Round Rock, TX, and am looking to divorce my husband.

Customer Question

I live in Round Rock, TX, and am looking to divorce my husband. We just sold our home, and are closing on July 13th. When we bought the home, we were married, however my name is ***** ***** the mortgage or deed. Am I entitled to the funds from selling the house since it is community property? Or am I entitled to nothing since my name isn't on anything?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It is community property, but that means that the proceeds belong to the "community". That is, if you were to divorce, the court could consider the proceeds of the sale as community assets and distribute those assets in an "equitable" manner. It doesn't mean that you have a right to half of it now (or any portion of it now). Technically speaking it's community property under his sole control, but it is still community property and you can still have a claim to those funds. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!