Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In May my Father died of cancer 3 weeks after he was diagnosed.

Customer Question

In May my Father died of cancer 3 weeks after he was diagnosed. I have closed my practice and went to help my mother who is in total crisis. I have temporarily moved to California. We attempted to divorce 5 years ago and the was an order for child support of $1,200 per month. The divorce case was thrown out 180 days later due to inactivity. Since 2010 my practice has steadily declined. I was not able to keep up with those payments. It went from $1,000 to $800 to $420. I have had much mental anguish since with parent alienation. I wanted to know what the legal implication of this type of situation would have on me. I need to go bankrupt before the divorce and there are tax issues too. My mother promised that she would provide me with money to help me get divorced and deal with the taxes, but so far that hasn’t happened. I am steadily moving into poverty and have lost the resources to reopen my clinic. She in a way has lured and trapped me into her situation. I really don't know what to do at this point and would appreciate any advice you could provide.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello:
What state was your divorce originally filed in? When the divorce case was dismissed, did the child support order continue on?