joelaws8
joelaws8, Lawyer
Experience:  I can answer general family law questions regarding the family code and procedure.
63991514

My children's mother has 8 kids, and 6 still live with her

Customer Question

My children's mother has 8 kids, and 6 still live with her in a 2 bedroom apt, she's never there to supervise them and recently my 16 year old was admitted to a mental hospital for cutting herself and having suicidal thoughts. I've asked her mom to send her back to me to get her some help and build a relationship with her, but she will not respond to any of my calls or text. How can I get my daughter out of this neglectful situation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
To gain custody of your daughter or any of your other children, you would need to ask the court to intervene by filing a motion to either set up a custody order, or if an order is already in place, asking the court to modify the order.
California has a robust self-help section on family law here: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-custody.htm
You can find all the instructions and forms you need to get the ball rolling at the above link. If it feels like too much to take on yourself, you can also retain a lawyer to help you.
It's also worth noting that she's probably violating a rule about the amount of people she can have in one apartment. You could also have the department of social services get involved if you think the children are being neglected and harmed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello, I don't offer the phone call service. I can opt out and open up your question to a JA expert who does.
Expert:  joelaws8 replied 1 year ago.
Good morning my name is Joe. I will send you the additional services offer to help you find the information that you are looking for.