Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I am asked to come to court to deal with a domestic

Customer Question

I am asked to come to court to deal with a domestic restraining order of the two we both have temporary ones on one another; myself and ex partner... I am asking this: If he gets his order then can they harass me at my office until I open the door and
accept the service papers? Can they put the order under my door? How can I protect my office from repeated attempts at serving me? Or should I just move my office? When I am in my office I am usually with a client. I have a sign saying in session. Can they
legally knock on my door even if I have the sign? And if they do, can I call the police & ask them to tell the server to leave? If it is the sherif, then do I have to open my door? What can I do to avoid being served a false deceptive order which is an attempt
to build a case against me to steal my new born baby away from me, and make me financially paralyzed.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardYou are under no legal obligation to open your door for anyone. However, the documents can be returned to the court marked as "Avoiding Service" And if that happens, you will still be expected to be in court and if you do not appear, the court can make the order permanent in your default of appearance. A restraining order must be handed to the person for it be an effective document. So, no. It should not be left under a door. It should be handed to the person.