Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Will I be charged?

Customer Question

will I be charged?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it considered parental kidnapping if I am the residential custodian of my 16 year old son and we both have joint custody. My son has been living with his dad in another state for one year and wants to come back to my house. He hates it there. Nothing was ever changed on court documents. I am still the residential custodian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My 16 year old son is coming out here in a few days but he doesn't want to go back to his dad. If I keep my son with me, can his dad say that I kidnapped him?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardIt would be parental kidnapping IF you did not have a Court Order for the joint custody. But since you have the court order and you are the residential custodial parent, you are not breaking any laws by allowing your son to remain with you.I suggest that as long as you are following the court order you are not doing anything illegal