Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in Maryland. Been married 10 years and separated on

Customer Question

I live in Maryland. Been married 10 years and separated on and off a few times. Husband owns house. Don't want anything from house. I just need money to start over. He pays mortgage, Car Insurance, and Health Ins. I make $50,000 +/- year and he makes $250,000. What can I expect in Alimony (Fair Alimony) Want to work out with him but if he proposes something crazy, I will take him to court.
Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Unfortunately, there is no formula to calculate spousal support (like there is to determine child support), so the judge has to determine whether spousal support is appropriate, and if so what amount is reasonable based on your need and his ability to pay. That said, spousal support is generally awarded for 1/2 the length of the marriage in an amount that allows the receiving spouse to maintain his/her current standard of living. Thus, the judge will look at what the requesting spouse needs to maintain his/her bills/monthly obligations and then determine whether or not the paying spouse can pay that amount.....if so, it is likely that the paying spouse will be ordered to remit the sum of money to the receiving spouse that is necessary to "bridge the gap".