Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I live in the state of Tennessee. Our marriage is over. I cannot

Customer Question

I live in the state of Tennessee. Our marriage is over. I cannot see a lawyer for another month due to my travels. Can I go ahead and move out as long as I do not abandon her financially?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Generally, it is not a good idea to take any steps when divorce is either imminent or has been just filed, without first consulting with an experienced local divorce attorney who can review the entire situation and can create legal strategy for the pending divorce proceedings.
This is true especially in Tennessee, which considered abandonment of marriage as a fault and the court would penalize a spouse who abandons the marriage, which means leaving the home or the spouse and moving to a new residence, either within Tennessee or out of state.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.